Re: Split/dual pane view again (but this time with code)

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 12:23 +0100, John Keller wrote:
Alexander Larsson wrote:

Tab is already closely connected to focusing things, be it Alt-Tab for
the WM, or Tab alone for the focus chain. I can very well see Ctrl-Tab
become "focus the most important thing of the current window, or
iterate between equally important things if you're already there".
Well, Ctrl-Tab already has a different meaning in Gtk+. Not that this
can't change or anything, but its a point against it.
I'm not sure that I read the HIG as strictly as you seem to for this key. "[I]n those situations where Tab alone has another function". Pressing Tab gets me through a focus chain (whose length depends on the elements in the window). Seems logical that Ctrl+Tab jumps to a key spot in the chain, or cycles through it, as Holder mentions here and I did in the other thread.

The HIG just describes what Gtk+ already does for Ctrl-Tab. It is
handled by default as a normal tab, but specific widgets may handle it
differently when thay have focus. However, the behaviour we discuss is
completely different, we want a window-wide accelerator to focus a
particular widget. Its not really in any way related to the tab chain.

OK, understood.

Plus, as I wrote in the other thread, Ctrl+Tab is already used in Nautilus - and inconsistently, as well (inconsistent within Nautilus, and by a strict reading of that same quoted HIG phrase, inconsistent with the HIG too).

Well, if by "used in nautilus" you mean "has the same behaviour in
nautilus as in any other Gtk+ app".

What I meant was what I outlined in a previous email. The Ctrl-Tab behavior depends on the combination of browser vs. folder and list vs. icon view:

* browser: Ctrl-Tab works until it ends up in the button bar, where it just changes between buttons and never returns to file display (file display in icon or list view) * folder view + icon view: focus alternates between little folder button in lower-left corner and file display * folder view + list view: focus alternates between little folder button in lower-left corner and list headers, but never returns to file display

This is what I meant by internal (in)consistency (internal to Nautilus).

- John