Can Nautilus plugins set icons for files?

Hi everybody,

I've been working on a usability project that enables Nautilus to
automatically give distinctive, quickly-recognisable icons (not just
emblems) to files--to address the problem whereby a user finds him- or
her-self `lost in a sea of indistiguishable icons'.

I've made good progress, except that the way that I've patched
Nautilus to use my library is somewhat less graceful than I'd like;
ideally, I'd develop a *plugin* instead of a *patch*, but it's not
clear to me form the documentation and tutorials that I've read,
whether Nautilus plugins actually have the capability of supplying the
icons for files.

Is it possible for a plugin to supply files' icons? If so, where
should I look to learn how to do this in my plugin? Does anyone have a
reference to tutorial on hand, or would somone be so kind as to write
me a little example code? :)

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).