Re: tabs, Desktop & emblems

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:33:51 +0100
Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:

> > > Wrong guess.
> >
> > If you do visit the bug tracker then why does it take half a year
> > (or even more) to get ANY reply?
>
> Because most people are volunteers, because manpower is limited,
> because developers also work on other modules.
> And because you haven't signed a support contract to me in order to
> receive feedback to your bug reports within 48 hours. ;-))

I understand that it's an open source project, but let's look at other
foss projects:
1) webkit (personal practise) - takes maximum few days to get some
reply on the bug report, all patches submitted to bug tracker are
reviewed;
2) rockbox (also personal practise) - same as with webkit;
3) XFCE - same.
3) KDE - I haven't personally submitted any bug reports/patches, but
just take a look at the statistics:
https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi?tops=20&days=180
Also can you find any old dolphin/konqueror bug report with no activity?

> > Why nobody cares to review the
> > patches that are submitted in bug tracker?
>
> Yes, that's indeed a problem. Please bring up patches to this list
> (link to bugzilla ID) and ask for review.

Why do you need bug tracker if patches should be posted on the mailing
list? Is this request official?

Maybe the problem is not man power, but a lack of consistent
management structure? Do you at least have default assignees for
different gnome components? Do you ever have some bug stomping day or
anything like that?

--
Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think. - A. Bierce