Re: GEmblemedIcons help

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 22:18 +0100, Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
> It works! Does it cause any problems?

Well, nautilus_icon_info_get_used_name() is supposed to return the icon
name but that will never work now that we have GIcon.

The way I read the Nautilus sources is that the icon name is only
interesting when setting the icon for a window. The way it works is that
an X client sends a list of icon names to the window manager so it can
render/choose an appropriate icon depending on size. Obviously this will
never work with GIcon either. Not until you get GIcon serialization into
the EWHM spec. Not going to happen.

However, from what I can tell Nautilus sends a pixbuf (instead of a
name) to the WM for the cases where there is no icon name. The downside
to doing that is that the WM can't choose/render the icon itself. But I
don't think this is a big deal.

In conclusion I think the provided patch is fine; now we just need to
wait for a response from one of the Nautilus maintainers to get it into
mainline.

    David