Re: nautilus & hidden files

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 13:15 +0200, yelo_3 wrote:
> Well, Szabolcs Szakacsits has told that he could use xattr to expose
> the hidden attribute, since GIO can look for xattr attributes.
>
> Is this a good solution in your opinion?

Always looking for xattrs is a performance hit in many cases, since it
will cause loading of another location on the disk. Maybe we can do this
only for filesystems that support this bit though.

Ideally this should not be a NTFS-fuse specific API, but the same should
be availible for e.g. the built-in kernel fat filesystems. We don't want
each filesystem doing something on their own. Maybe this should be
brought up on the linux-kernel mailinglist.