Re: Speed-up Nautilus

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Christian Kirbach <christian kirbach googlemail com> wrote:

Both nautilus 2.20.3 and
Thunar take about 15-20 seconds to display the 1500 files (no stop watch
at hand, but taking a sane guess).

If there would be a "huge difference" it would certainly be noticable to
me,
even without a clock.

Regards

OK, you may be right to some extent. But completely not applicable.
Thunar's over all performance is better than Nautilus.
Browse the filesystem with thunar and Nautilus in different path (no overlapping and forget about serious caching benefits to them.). and you will notice it.
With thunar, I went in a directory where existed 87 small files of company logos/images. It quicky created the thumbnails and displayed all in such short time, in 2 secs (again no stop watch with me also) but after that I went into nautilus which should already have thumbnailed them (as I used to browse the path more frequently with Nautilus). We should here not consider that Nautilus took time in fetching the thumbnails from the filesystem, as being hash values as filename it would certainly be faster to seek).
So browsing file-system with Thunar is undoubtly faster than the Nautilus.
I will try to move the Logo directory to some other path, and then let you know better benchmarking.. since Nautilus has to create Thumbnails then.

--
-=Ravi=-