Re: Speed-up Nautilus

OK. Here are the numbers. Using computer with 1,8GB CPU and 512 MB RAM: ~ 1,5 second to enter the usr/share directory. On the same machine Thunar does it instantly. Realy, there is a huge difference. You should install Thunar and you will notice it for sure.
On 1GB CPU with 368MB RAM the same thing takes ~3seconds. Thunar does the thing instantly...

2008/3/1, Tomasz Sterna <tomek xiaoka com>:
Dnia 2008-02-29, Pt o godzinie 22:11 +0100, Piotr Zaryk pisze:

> There have been complaints that Nautilus is very slow especially when
> opening folders that contain many files and folders. Lots of votes on
> the brainstorm confirms that users want to have faster Nautilus. I
> think that it should be the high priotity task for the next release.

Could we actually see some numbers?
Using machine with processor ABC and N gigabytes of RAM, opening a
folder with x files takes y seconds, y1 seconds showing the window, y2
reading the files, y3 generating thumbnails, etc.

Comparing to competitors, Nautilus 2.x was always _very_ fast for me.

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
  (/^/(_^^' http://www.xiaoka.com/

--