Re: templates patch ...

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 16:47, Michael Meeks <michael meeks novell com> wrote:
       The problem I'm trying to solve is that I wanted a desktop to be easy
to use for my Father, and this involved having a nice right-click
context menu with "Create OpenOffice document" in it on the desktop & in
the file manager. My existing "Create Document" menu has only the
(rather useless and misleading) "Empty File" entry - I love to create
empty files, but I'd like an empty file of a given type ;-) [ rather
than a text file targeting gedit ;-].

Can only speak for myself, as a normal-but-heavy user, both at work and at home: I would very much not like a distribution or application clutter my menu with templates, especially ones that I can't easily remove since they are system-wide and therefore both permissions and other users may be a problem. Other users are also a "problem" in what they may install if we all share templates.

I very much like the templates-per-user approach where a Templates directory is used - but I think some extra glue would be very nice, perhaps a simple way to *copy* some system-wide templates to the local place, maybe using the top-ribbon to show that option clearly?

Just my 0.02.

-- Stoffe

Kristoffer Lundén
kristoffer lunden gmail com
stoffe playdo com
http://www.spineworld.com
http://www.playdo.com
☎ +46 (0) 704 48 98 77

       Much to my amazement, KDE has such a feature - and their templates
directory appears to be proof that such a thing can exist without the
world & wife dumping all sorts of junk in it (one of Alex's arguments).
Clearly vendors need to take care that they don't themselves allow junk
to pile up there: which empirically seems quite possible if not easy.

       Interestingly, our OO.o package already creates a nice set of templates
in /opt/kde3/share/templates - which are .desktop files setup such that
KDE can use them in this menu [ perhaps slightly useful for ISVs ].

       Of course, wrt. lock-down and merging and so-on I can believe it's a
disaster, and there can be conflicts in the menu (as there can be with
other files).

       At a minimum - if you turn off the 'system' files: the patch adds the
ability to add .desktop files in each users directory that point to a
template - and allow translation of that template's name: currently not
possible.

       Either way - I'm fairly confident that if we have the templates menu in
every right click context having some content in it might not be a bad
thing ;-)

       Are you implacably opposed ?

       HTH,

               Michael.

--
 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot