Re: Howto rename a file without...

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On 19 Aug 2008, at 16:43, Stian Skjelstad wrote:

I sometimes accidently trigger this feature on ms explorer (TM) (when I
want to move an icon on the desktop), and that can then be very
annoying. And again other times it takes me more than one attempt to
trigger it when I actually wants it.

On the Mac, I find the latter is more usually the case-- I've learned to be very cautious about opening the icon by mistake, and as a result, my actions are often too cautious to trigger the rename function first time as well.

It really does seem to be a hard thing to do just right.  I'm sure there would be very few objections to an implementation that managed to pull it off, though :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team

I don't think it is hard to use it. I use it all the time on Windows.

Why? First, you have to select the file you want to rename, than you
have to click on file name (and not the icon), and if you double click
while the file is selected it opens the file, and if you click once on
file name you get 'rename'. You can click somewhere else to
turn 'rename' off. Maybe, you will disagree wiht me but, this is one
of 3 'small' features I really miss.

Thank you.