Re: controlling icon order

Apologies for totally blowing that last message...

Where is your icon installed ? most likely, what you are seeing is a
side-effect of
the fallback algorithm in the icon theme spec: if you specify multiple
names like that,
it tries to find any of those in the current theme before falling back
to an inherited theme.

So, if gnome-icon-theme has application-x-executable, and you install
application-t4l-pixie
into hicolor, then you'll still get application-x-executable when the
gnome icon theme is
current.

I should have mentioned that: I'm using xdg-icon-resource to install a 48x48 png in the hicolor theme, so located at
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/application-t4l-pixie.png

The chosen icon is located at
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/mimetypes/application-x-executable.svg

The list is reasonable for fallbacks (file is executable), but how can I ensure my icon is chosen for all themes (that don't override this specific type)?

Thanks for your reply,
michael

Asides:
If I switch the executable bit, the list becomes application-t4l-pixie, application-x-generic, text-x-generic, with the text icon chosen.

For what it's worth, using gnome_icon_lookup in libgnomeui instead of the gio methods gives my icon.