Re: Reuse new gtkfilechooser Search feature in Nautilus

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 16:53 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 17:41 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > > what interests me more about the last few changes in the GtkFileChooser
> > > widget, and their reflection into nautilus UI, is adding support for a
> > > 'Recently Used' place into nautilus, implemented as a special location
> > > (like the search and trash folders); I'm currently working on a patch, I
> > > think I'll have something working by the end of this week.
> >
> > Could also be done (probably easier too) as a gnome-vfs backend. Any
> > reason you're going the more complicated route?
>
> I was under the impression that vfs modules were mostly deprecated, but
> probably I misunderstood. there was a gnome-vfs module that implemented
> the recent:/// URI, inside libegg/recent-files: I can resume that and
> port it to the GtkRecent API.

Well, the plan is to replace gnome-vfs with gvfs, so in that sense its
deprecated. But as a general idea its not.

I guess there is some advantage in doing recent files as a nautilus
virtual directory thing, since you can put the "actual" files in the
directories instead of recent:/// uris. This means when you open them
you get the right path to the file (and it works also for non-vfs using
apps)....

> > Its hard to do search as a vfs backend (as it needs tight integration
> > with the modifying the search ui), but for gvfs i'm making trash a real
> > vfs location.
>
> I'll rejig what I have with a gnome-vfs module, and look at how to
> implement the same functionality into gvfs while I'm at it.

gvfs is a bit raw at the moment, but the more people that look at it,
the better.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese zombie shaman in a wheelchair. She's a sarcastic nymphomaniac
wrestler from a different time and place. They fight crime!