Re: creating a new view or sort method

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 17:49 -0400, Nicholas Andrews wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to experiment with a different sort or "view" for the desktop
> background and the file browser (I'm just looking at arranging the
> files a bit differently graphically). First of all, does nautilus
> handle the desktop background or is it a different component?

Yes, that is a normal nautilus window without menu.

> Looking at src/file-browser, I see various fm-icon-view and
> fm-list-view files. I presume I would need to create a new one of
> these, but it wasn't obvious from the code how to go about starting.
>
> I was wondering if someone could give me a quick run-down on what's
> involved, so that I can for starters get a new "View as ..." to appear
> in the dropdown, even if nothing is yet displayed.

There really aren't much docs here. I recommend reading
docs/nautilus-internals.pdf (somewhat out of date by now) and the other
stuff in docs/, and then look around the code.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a shy skateboarding astronaut plagued by the memory of his family's
brutal murder. She's a beautiful tomboy museum curator prone to fits of
savage, blood-crazed rage. They fight crime!