creating a new view or sort method

Hi!

I want to experiment with a different sort or "view" for the desktop
background and the file browser (I'm just looking at arranging the
files a bit differently graphically). First of all, does nautilus
handle the desktop background or is it a different component?

Looking at src/file-browser, I see various fm-icon-view and
fm-list-view files. I presume I would need to create a new one of
these, but it wasn't obvious from the code how to go about starting.

I was wondering if someone could give me a quick run-down on what's
involved, so that I can for starters get a new "View as ..." to appear
in the dropdown, even if nothing is yet displayed.

Alternatively, I was considering adding a new "Arrange items by"
option, although I would rather add a new view unless it's really too
involved.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Nick