Re: [patch] [bug 432510] samba filename encoding on none UTF-8 locales

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 20:30 +0900, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
wrote:
> OK, it may be a better solution however may I ask some questions.
>
> 1. Can I access the source codes of gvfs? When do you think the release date?

Work in progress availible with git at:
http://www.gnome.org/~alexl/git/gvfs.git

> 2. Why do you think different encodings are needed per smb shares?
> It seems the complicated usage for me because users hardly know which
> encoding is used currently. Normally sysadmins try to mount all smb
> dirs with same iocharset for general users and my understanding is
> that "mount" needs a privilege, i.e. general users cannot mount/umount
> smb dirs by themselves without privileges so I cannot imagine the
> necessity. My guess is that if nautilus could be launched
> on different encodings between gnome-panel workspaces, it would be an
> option?

I'm not saying everyone needs to use per-encodings, but a solution that
doesn't allow it then there are cases when you need it is not really
nice. When you're in a well run sysadmined network the sysadmin can make
sure things are ok. Things are different when you're just casually
browsing a (maybe foreign) network with gnome-vfs and click on some
share.

Encodings per workspace? What sort of bizzare connection is that? Not
that its even remotely implementable.

> 3. Even though gvfs will have the "mount" knowlege, It seems my patch
> doesn't conflict with the feature because users just can unset the
> env. What do you think?

Its not really about conflicts, its about your patch being a hack that
doesn't solve the issues fully, and that is very undiscoverable and as
such won't be used by many. Its also smb-specific and locale-encoding
specific and not general in any way.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an otherworldly moralistic dwarf moving from town to town, helping folk
in trouble. She's a disco-crazy communist pearl diver looking for love in all
the wrong places. They fight crime!