Re: Column view update & issues

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 12:52 -0600, Trevor Davenport wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the last two weeks I've been implementing a column view for
> nautilus.  Most things are working well at this point with mostly
> hooking up preferences and a just discovered drag and drop issue and
> the issues in this email left before all functionality is basically
> working and just bug fixing and tweaking.  It's to a point where I am
> using it now as my default view.

Sweet.

> The biggest problem is that there is no way (that I know of) to change
> the location from the view (so the pathbar updates) besides to use
> NautilusWindowInfo and the open_location call.  This works but has the
> side effect that it resets the current view so all current directory
> monitors are removed and have to be re-added which there isn't a
> convient way besides the FMDirectoryView add_subdirectory call.  This
> has the side effect of causing every column in the view to reload. For
> small directories it doesn't really cause a problem.  But large
> directories end up taking a long time to load or using the toolbar or
> the shortcut to move up a can directory cause similar pain.  This also
> makes you unable to add new directories to the column and get the
> properties for the directory that makes up the column (though for
> properties you can just move the column to the left and select the
> folder).

I'm not sure that opening a subdirectory should really switch the
directory location like that. That makes no sense in the spatial case,
and basically enforces that all levels of the directory tree are always
visible in the column view (from the root of whatever volume you're
browsing). This is definately not what e.g. macos does.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a globe-trotting voodoo cop who knows the secret of the alien invasion.
She's a man-hating Buddhist cab driver prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed
rage. They fight crime!