Re: movie files...

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 22:47 +0200, guenther wrote:
> > 1) Imagine we have a file "toy.story.2-dvdrip-xvid-ita-by_me.avi",
> > 694mb, [...]
>
> > applet? or more difficult, leaving its name as the original downloaded,
>
> I am trying hard to imagine a file with that name and size to be the
> "original". Really, I am trying hard...

The OP clearly gives a bad example to support what might be a useful
feature, nevertheless I feel compelled to argue this point.

I think the idea that a video is illegal if it isn't the "original" is
FUD spread by the RIAA.  *Content* is licensed, not media.  That is, if
I purchase "Toy Story", I can do whatever I like with it provided that I
do not transfer the licensed content to another individual.

If I go on a plane trip and want to watch a couple movies, I'll copy
them to my laptop rather than carry the DVDs with me (less baggage, less
battery drain, less chance of losing the original).  My car is full of
ripped and burned CDs.  I do this so that the originals aren't scratched
or stolen (much like I copied my vinyl to cassette many years ago, for
the same reasons).

The RIAA would love everyone to believe that there is never a legal
reason to copy a movie or other media (or that they are such rare and
uncommon uses as to be inconsequential), but this is an outright lie.

> > I think this would be very interesting and useful for cinema lovers and
> > hope could be implemented in nautilus future versions...
>
> *Cinema* *lovers* get the DVD. They wouldn't even consider watching
> something with *that* quality.

I don't know that "cinema lover" carries the same connotation as
"audiophile".  I'll assume you lead the World Cinema Lover's Association
or similar entity to have such intimate and certain knowledge of what
that portion of the population would or wouldn't watch ;-)  Many "cinema
lovers" I know even like old movies that (gasp) didn't even have color
or sound!

> Honestly, I do hope official GNOME will never support anything like
> this.

Honestly I hope GNOME will never police its users on behalf of the RIAA
or any other entity.  Frankly it's one of the major (arguably only)
reasons to choose OSS over Apple.

Cliff