Re: Using invalidate_extension_info in python extensions

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 00:07 +0000, Jason Field wrote:
> Hi all,

> How is an extension writer supposed to ask Nautilus to re-scan a folder
> for extension information? From what little I've gleaned from the
> Nautilus wiki, I'm supposed to use the invalidate_extension_info call.
> Only problem is, it doesn't seem to do much in my code!
>
> Is there some documentation on how it (and the other FileInfo methods)
> are supposed to work?

Hmm. That is supposed to work. If any user of the NautilusFile in
nautilus has expressed an interest in the extension info for the file
then if you invalidate it it should be re-read by nautilus.

> My purpose is to get Nautilus to re-scan the file info every 30 seconds
> or so. I'm writing the extension in Python, and the rest of the code
> (emblems, menu items etc.) all works fine. I'm running Gnome 2.14.3
> (Ubuntu distro).

Strange. Just calling the invalidate_extension_info in a timeout should
work. Might be a bug of some sort.

> Oh and a second quick question - is it possible to nest extension-added
> menu items?

In recent version (2.16 i think) there is support for this.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a world-famous crooked firefighter searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a virginal kleptomaniac pearl diver from the wrong side of the tracks.
They fight crime!