Re: #96239 Implementing a "Column view"

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 16:14 +0100, Fabrice Tiercelin wrote:
> Hello everybody !
>
> I want to contribute to Nautilus project. I'm about to implement Mac
> OS X Finder's "column view". There is already a bug for this (#96239).
> However, before starting this work, I wanna know what do you think
> about "Column view". Do you think implementing it would be a good idea
> ? If not, why ?
>
> For the ones who don't know what is the "column view" (which is
> usually the case with Linux users :) , With the column view, the file
> manager show all the files of the current directory in a column. In a
> column on the left, it shows the parent directory, and on the left
> again, the parent parent directory... until the root directory. Parent
> directories are often hidden on the left and a scrollbar let you see
> them. When you select a sub-directory, its content appear in a column
> on the right. If you select a file in a parent directory, then the
> current directory column disappear. So you easily navigate in the file
> system.
> I have found a demostration of "column view" with Finder :
> http://www.glnd.k12.va.us/resources/OSX_Jag_Movies/column_view.mov
>
> Give me your opinion. Thanx for reading :)

Its a very good idea. However, just a warning. Its gonna be a lot of
work.

Nautilus initially was designed to show one location in a window, so the
main base class for all the file views FMDirectoryView just had one
NautilusDirectory object. With the addition of expandable subdirectories
in the list view some support for multiple directories were added, but
I'm not sure its enough to support a column view. So, its quite possible
that you have to touch a lot of the Nautilus core. :)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a time-tossed umbrella-wielding vampire hunter with no name. She's a
sharp-shooting insomniac pearl diver from Mars. They fight crime!