Using invalidate_extension_info in python extensions

Hi all,

First off - apologies if I've missed some kind of blindingly obvious
link to documentation somewhere :)

but...

How is an extension writer supposed to ask Nautilus to re-scan a folder
for extension information? From what little I've gleaned from the
Nautilus wiki, I'm supposed to use the invalidate_extension_info call.
Only problem is, it doesn't seem to do much in my code!

Is there some documentation on how it (and the other FileInfo methods)
are supposed to work?

My purpose is to get Nautilus to re-scan the file info every 30 seconds
or so. I'm writing the extension in Python, and the rest of the code
(emblems, menu items etc.) all works fine. I'm running Gnome 2.14.3
(Ubuntu distro).

Oh and a second quick question - is it possible to nest extension-added
menu items?

Many thanks in advance,

Jason