Re: Patch to fix #314139 [REVISION PROPOSAL]

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:59 +0300, Sivan Greenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 11:54 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > Another complication is that doing generic gnome-vfs i/o can cause
> > authentication dialogs to pop up, which is bad during dnd.
>
> If it occurs during after a remote sessions has been dropped and the
> target window is till on, I can't see why it can create a problem. (I
> believe Win32 based platforms follow this approach as well)

If you do i/o while the drag is happening you'll get the dialog while
you're dragging. This is bad in itself, for instance you can't type or
click on it without releasing the drag, and then there are potential
risks for stuck pointer grabs with modal dialogs.

> > So, the two patches in your mail need to be combined into one
> > should_convert_move_to_copy() function that does at most one stat of the
> > target and one of the source. Furthermore, we should cache the results
> > of this function for the last target/source pair, which I think can be
> > done by using user-data on the drag context.
>
> Some question:
>
>  * The user ownership patch was not created by me, I think it's taken
> from nautilus's CVS ;-)

So? Just change it. :)

>  * Wouldn't it be easier and more readable to use nautilus own already
> cache enabled file permissoin and access functions ? (as in
> libnautilus-private/nautilus-file.h, Manny noted to me these are cache
> enabled)

NautilusFile is the nautilus async machinery. Take a look at for
instance docs/nautilus-io.txt and docs/nautilus-internals.pdf for some
details how it works. You can't really use this in a sync way (except if
you're lucky and the info was already cached).

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted voodoo paramedic haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's a radical red-headed femme fatale with an evil twin sister.
They fight crime!