Re: Icon label visibility diff...

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 13:23 -0800, Gene Ragan wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 00:30 -0800, Gene Z. Ragan wrote:

> > It's a good idea, but the result looks like a rendering bug :)
> >
> > Maybe it'll look better if you make the selection frames completely
> > opaque? The faint text is pretty much unreadable anyway.

> The hard part with an opaque fill is that it may make the user think
> the item is selected.  Maybe a change in the alpha level
> so the covered text isn't so light would help.  Or a gradual fade
> towards the edges.

A gradual fade sounds interesting, but it's hard to determine how it'll
look without an example.

> The totally opaque fill might actually work until the user has the
> same background color as the selected color.  Then
> they may be filled with sadness.

Having background==selected will probably cause problems anyway. A way
to mitigate that might be to draw a border around the current selection
frame - I've seen other file managers do this.

--
Hans Petter