Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

The purpose of the Dbus wrapper is not to act as a run around the GPL. The dbus wrapper is their to create a per session database thats fast and efficient memory wise (by using threads and threadpools). The fact that it also allows us to bypass restrictive licenses in this instance is a bonus :)

As I said a runaround and on shaky legal ground.  For you to dismiss it
shows you don't understand the issues and are invalidating the intent of
the developers of MySQL.

My intent is not to cheat Mysql here - I can assure you of that. It certainly wont decrease their sales and in fact if Gnome used it it would probably increase both their profile and sales. If it was harmful in any way to them then I would accept your point. IANAL so yeah there may be issues here I do not understand.

This is from the FSF and though it deals with Binary components I think
it is relevant (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/compliancelab.html):

Common ways that may make the binary component a derivative work of a
pure-GPL'ed component include, but are not necessarily limited to:
communication of the binary component with a pure-GPL'ed component via a
rich,non-standard IPC or network interface that gives all the same
functionality normally given by static or dynamic linking.

DDS will only use a fairly limited subset of Mysql API - im not planning to duplicate the same interface or equivalent functionality of a libmysqlclient via DBUS. DDS simply uses mysql as a back end data store and its API will not be influenced by mysql's. As it does not provide "all the same functionality normally given by static or dynamic linking" it should be okay.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/