Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 12:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Christian Neumair wrote:
> > I really wonder why we rely on files for our metadata. It has issues [1]
> > where a synchronous fopen and read or write operation would really take
> > too long, requiring us to schedule reads/writes. Without doing any
> > performance measures, I think this could significantly speed up our
> > metadata code for big directories. I think we should do the same as
> > beagle, and rely on a tiny SQL server, doing all our metadata operations
> > synchronously. I'm not a big fan of EAs, since they seem to be some
> > different flavors and inconsistencies among various implementations.
> >
> > [1] http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y364247BB
> >

> you are correct and thats why Im building such a system for Gconf/common
> config system, general metadata server, schematic storage (like winFS),
> indexing and anything else that needs fast structured storage.
>
> My system is called DDS (data desktop server) and is simply a dbus
> wrapper around the embedded mysql DB.

please don't use MySQL directly! First, you will impose users to install
and configure a DB server, which might not be possible in all cases.

So, as a suggestion, just use libgda (http://www.gnome-db.org) and
default to SQLite (which is just a file that can be created at anytime
on behalf of the user), but giving the possibility, when admins want, to
use a full featured DB server for all users.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>