Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 12:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

Christian Neumair wrote:

I really wonder why we rely on files for our metadata. It has issues [1]
where a synchronous fopen and read or write operation would really take
too long, requiring us to schedule reads/writes. Without doing any
performance measures, I think this could significantly speed up our
metadata code for big directories. I think we should do the same as
beagle, and rely on a tiny SQL server, doing all our metadata operations
synchronously. I'm not a big fan of EAs, since they seem to be some
different flavors and inconsistencies among various implementations.

[1] http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y364247BB

you are correct and thats why Im building such a system for Gconf/common config system, general metadata server, schematic storage (like winFS), indexing and anything else that needs fast structured storage.

My system is called DDS (data desktop server) and is simply a dbus wrapper around the embedded mysql DB.

please don't use MySQL directly! First, you will impose users to install
and configure a DB server, which might not be possible in all cases.

the *embedded* version of mysql is just a shared object - you dont need to install the full mysql to get it. RPMs for the *embedded* version are on mysql's website. The *embedded* mysql is the same as sqlite in that regard.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/