Re: always_use_location_bar

Op Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:22:07 +0000, schreef Matthew East:

>> What I am going to describe is probably a good compromise: Hitting Ctrl
>> + l should leave the location bar permanently with a close button so
>> that the user can hide/close it when it's not needed any more.

Close buttons on toolbars are pretty evil. Suddenly, a 'close' concept
that previously was reserved for windows and tabs, gets ported to
toolbars. Not so nice.

> users who use the buttons and not the address bar basically use ctrl L to
> call up the address bar and type ONE address, they don't want to have to
> retoggle again. The fact that Ctrl L is not persistent is essentially a
> _feature_. I am pretty convinced that the better solution in terms of
> usability is to allow users to switch between always_use_location_bar in
> the preferences. Maybe there is another way though.

I think there is. Currently the View menu has a checkbox item for
visibility of the Location bar. This could be split up between a (mutually
exclusive?) Address bar and a Path bar. Yes, this would add another item
to the already large menu- but do we need "Reset View to Defaults", for
instance? Who ever uses it?

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen