Re: always_use_location_bar

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 12:08 -0500, William Lovaton wrote:
> You are right.
>
> The thing is that it's very hard to decide what preferences to put in
> the GUI and what in gconf only.  It's the same like spatial nautilus
> back in the day, but that was a very big change for the end user.
>
> The idea here is to try everything before considering to put a new
> preference in the GUI.  Even better, the idea is always to remove
> preferences from the GUI.
>
> What I am going to describe is probably a good compromise:
> Hitting Ctrl + l should leave the location bar permanently with a close
> button so that the user can hide/close it when it's not needed any more.
> May be Ctrl + l should be a toggle so that you can hide it and unhide it
> quickly and that way the close button wouldn't be needed.

That was my first idea but I realised it was a bad idea because those
users who use the buttons and not the address bar basically use ctrl L
to call up the address bar and type ONE address, they don't want to have
to retoggle again. The fact that Ctrl L is not persistent is essentially
a _feature_. I am pretty convinced that the better solution in terms of
usability is to allow users to switch between always_use_location_bar in
the preferences. Maybe there is another way though.

--
mdke ubuntu com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF