Re: Nautilus should ignore the +x bit

Mike Hearn wrote:
That's all I can think of right now. Firefox has an interesting take on
the "confirm dialog fatigue" problem: it has a very short, simple
message for URL handlers that invoke external programs and the
acceptance button is disabled for a few seconds to prevent people
instantly hitting it.

Somewhat off-topic, but though people assume that's for fighting alert fatigue, it's not. The attack here is a Web author putting an inviting-looking link on a page, in the exact spot where the install/run button will appear in the alert (assuming default title bar and UI font sizes). Then onmouseover of the link, a script in the page pushes the malware, so Firefox pops up the alert, and before you can react your click hits the install/run button instead of hitting the link underneath.

Luckily, Jesse Ruderman thought of this attack before anyone else. Unluckily, he now has to put up with people assuming the button's activation is delayed for a different reason (to make them read the alert), and whining noisily about wanting to turn off the delay because they think they don't need it. So (getting back on-topic) I wouldn't recommend it as a way of fighting alert fatigue.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/