Re: RFC: On-line Content Filtering of directories

On Wed, April 27, 2005 3:14 pm, Maciej Katafiasz said:
> Dnia 27-04-2005, ¶ro o godzinie 15:04 +0200, Nelson napisa³(a):
>> On Wed, April 27, 2005 1:33 pm, Alexander Larsson said:
>> > * Sometimes you might not see the whole window, or just not look at
<snip>
>>  To avoid this issues, and as someone already commented, what about if
>> we
>> instead of disappear unmatched files, we do bring to first positions the
>> matched files, and select them in order to have a visually contrast with
>> the rest of files, then there's no a special *filtering mode* that we
>> have to explain and notice to the user... we only have automate the user
>> manual task of "move somefiles together and select them".
>
> I don't think it's feasible:
>
> 1) How do we know where matching files end and not matching ones begin?
> The exact reason to filter is to separate ones from others...

   The files that are selected are the matching ones, I think is a good
separation, if user had previously selected files those were deselected
before this matching operation.

> 2) What happens if user unselects?

  Exactly what the user expects, the file is unselected, I mean, we are
not doing special things here, we only selected and grouped together
some files so the user reached them easily, now the operations the user
perform on those files are his business, he can copy all in a new
folder, or copy only one.

Besides, this way lets you interact with rest of files apart from the
matching ones, I mean, once I have my matching files selected I can scroll
down and append to the selection one file that didnt fit in the search
criteria. You cannot do that with filtering.