Re: Mime types confusion

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 11:02 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > It is not what you can expect from a regular user - I mean getting
> > sources from CVS and recompiling them. Most of the usere doesn't even
> > know what a compiler is.
> >

> That's why there are those things called "distributions" that make
> packages so that users get fixes for bugs. And that's why people like
> you get to file bugs in bugzilla, and to test fixes so that developers
> can make releases for the distros to pick up.
Yes. And Mr. Joe will wait 6 months for new release just to be able to
open his drawing files because the file manager has another idea about
what to do. And next he buys another new imaging software and "whoops"
he is unable to efficiently work again as the sniffing signature will
take another 6 months to get in distribution.

It is a critical bug from user's perspective. And it cannot be solved
only by improving sniffing database, as by definition it cannot be 100%
reliable. This is going to be a never-ending story.

> > The end-user solution is to have a button "For this extension don't use
> > sniffing and assume that mime-type is xxx" or something like this.
>
> Yeah, an end user will probably have no problem at all to  understand
> what that means, and he'll use it wisely, he won't take the bad habit of
> pressing this button as soon as nautilus warns him the file he is going
> to open may not be what he expects.
You see, if I wanted a system that knows "better" than I, what I want to
do, I would just stick with Windows. I suppose you are going to vote
agains selling knives and forks as they might be used to hurt somebody?

> Anyway, it can't be added to CVS, since users don't know what a compiler
> is, so they'll never get that change if it was done. Actually, gnome
> development should be stopped immediatly, since it's pointless as users
> will never get any change we may be doing.
If it stops it will be because of unneeded sarcasm from developers.

Regards,

Olaf
--
Olaf Frączyk <olaf cbk poznan pl>