Re: Bugzilla spring cleaning

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:27, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > You're totally missing the point here. The amount of bugs in bugzilla in
> > comparison with the number of developers are such that we basically
> > cannot use bugzilla at all if we want to get anything done. The bugs
> > that are in bugzilla are not better served by being open if that means
> > nobody will ever be able to find them or look at them.
> >
> > If we were able to close all "not replicable" bugs in an easy way we
> > would do that, however there just isn't any way to do that in an
> > automated fashion. So, the alternatives are:
> >
> > a) Spend all of our time reading bugzilla, none of our time fixing bugs
> > b) Ignore bugzilla
> > c) Do something drastic that try to make bugzilla actually useful to
> > developers
> >
> > Unless we do c), we're gonna be doing b), because a) is of no use to
> > either developers or users.
> >

> >From a user point of view, does it mean that I should "file" bugs
> directly on mailing lists instead of (or in addition to) filing them on
> bugzilla ?

That would quickly make the mailing list useless too, so I don't think
thats a good idea. And anyway, mails don't work well for bugreports, if
the bug is not immediately fixed nobody will ever read the mail again
and the bug won't be fixed. (Of course, one could argue that currently
the same is true for bugzilla, but at least its theoretically possible
to look at older bugs, and in practice some bugs *do* get fixed.)

However, if you have a patch that you want us to review we already
recommend you to post that to the list as well as to bugzilla.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad sweet-toothed dog-catcher on the hunt for the last
specimen of a great and near-mythical creature. She's a mistrustful junkie
former first lady on the trail of a serial killer. They fight crime!