Re: Bugzilla spring cleaning

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 20:21, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 11:59, Mark Gordon wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 11:48 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> > > Nautilus (and evolution) have become that bad that I have started to
> > > look for some appropriate replacement (and I don't think they are up to
> > > snuff to be part of the GNOME Desktop).
> >
> > Bad in terms of stability, or number of bugs filed?
>
> In terms of stability. Unfortunately many crashes in nautilus appear to
> be random so filing bugs about those crashes is difficult if not
> impossible. I think it is reasonable to assume that they might have
> something to do with already reported bugs.
>
> Note that I don't mind bugs being closed that are not replicable but I
> don't think closing bugs on the basis of `no action in the last x
> months' is a reasonable procedure.

You're totally missing the point here. The amount of bugs in bugzilla in
comparison with the number of developers are such that we basically
cannot use bugzilla at all if we want to get anything done. The bugs
that are in bugzilla are not better served by being open if that means
nobody will ever be able to find them or look at them.

If we were able to close all "not replicable" bugs in an easy way we
would do that, however there just isn't any way to do that in an
automated fashion. So, the alternatives are:

a) Spend all of our time reading bugzilla, none of our time fixing bugs
b) Ignore bugzilla
c) Do something drastic that try to make bugzilla actually useful to
developers

Unless we do c), we're gonna be doing b), because a) is of no use to
either developers or users.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lonely native American astronaut who dotes on his loving old ma. She's
a cosmopolitan junkie lawyer from beyond the grave. They fight crime!