Re: Spatial Nautilus

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 13:39, bbarnich umich edu wrote:
> Well maybe someone can enlighten me... Since when did nautilus decide to become
> a MacOS 6 clone? I've been running the latest versions of everything since the
> 2.3 beta days, so I've been using spatial for a while. I hate it. It reminds me
> of the default windows 95 settings. I understand that this is supposed to be
> better for people who are new to Linux and gnome but let us veterans at least
> keep a normal file browser, make a dialog to configure how the file browsing
> works. To do even basic navigation I need to learn all these key strokes, to me
> this doesnt seem like progress. IMO all these "features" should be options not
> defaults. Sorry to troll. responses?

Brad,

Some simple responses to your questions:

1) Nautilus uses the spatial model now for many of the reasons listed in
this article: http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

2) Right click on a folder and select "Browse Folder" - you'll be
pleasantly surprised.

3) *After* reading the Ars Technica article, try using spatial mode for
a week or two.  If the benefits don't add up for you, then you can do
this: in a terminal, type

gconftool-2 --type bool --set
/apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true

(note that should be on one line, not many)

Give spatial nautilus a shot, though - I hated it at first, too, but
once I understood it better and used it for a week or so, it really grew
on me - now I wouldn't have it any other way.

 - jck

enthusiastic about."
 -- Albert Einstein