Re: make symbolic links on desktop not open as file under Desktop folder

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 23:26, Raul Acevedo wrote:
> I've created a few symlinks to folders on my desktop my opening the
> parent folder, and using Meta-Shift-Click to drag the folder to the
> desktop.
>
> When I open such a folder from the desktop, I don't want Nautilus to
> open it under the path in /home/raul/Desktop/foo, I want it to open it
> as /home/raul/foo.  For spatial mode, it means it treats the folder
> differently than I would expect, since it uses the folder attributes of
> the link and not of the target; for browser mode, it adds
> /home/raul/Desktop as the location which is not what I want.
>
> This can be resolved by either:
>
> 1.  When Nautilus opens a symlink from the desktop, it opens the link
>     target instead.
>
> 2.  Have an easy way to create a .desktop file on the desktop from an
>     existing file or folder, that uses the same icon as the original and
>     when clicked opens the original.  Ideally it would use an emblem to
>     indicate this is really a .desktop file that "links" to the
>     original, but this is less important.
>
> Is this already supported in some manner?

2 is the long term plan. There has been some work on it in HEAD, with
the desktop file property pages.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an oversexed skateboarding gangster who must take medication to keep him
sane. She's a supernatural red-headed mermaid who hides her beauty behind a
pair of thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!