Re: Nautilus Browser Mode: View As

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 13:43 +0100, Jens Finke wrote:
> No, only the file views will go away. The Eye of Gnome collection
> view for a directory is still available in 2.6. Assuming that you
> don't use the cvsgnome build script which doesn't provide eog.

In the case of CVSGnome this can quickly be solved (eog is part of the
extended CVSGnome cvs checkout diff). Do this:

;--- for CVS ---
./cvsgnome checkout eog
./cvsgnome build eog
;--- for CVS ---

This will grab the latest eog from cvs, configure, build and install it
in your GNOME prefix. Or for Tarballs, simply grab the Tarball of eog
and depack it into /tmp/gnome then run:

;--- for Tarball ---
./cvsgnome build eog-<version>
;--- for Tarball ---

The reasons why I don't provide eog as default image viewer is simple to
explain. I for my own dislike eog because of the way of how Images are
being shown. The way it does it I for my own find circumstantial.
If you want to open a large chunk of Image collections then you can only
open the picture one by one. That is loading eog, loading picture,
closing eog, loading eog, loading new picture, closing eog. Of course
you can use eog as view in Nautilus but this expects that one at least
use Nautilus and the view works without crashing every now and then.

I once had eog as default in CVSGnome but my users recommended me to go
for gThumb because it's more familar to them (due to ACDSee or similar
apps) and I must admit that I do share their views here because it's
easier to use. No offense here I do respect eog and I do see it's having
a different approach of doing things and I do believe there are people
who prefer that way over the way of gThumb. But that is a matter of
taste and I don't want to force my people to use things they may find
circumstantial. Regardless of that I do hope that my little instructions
above help solving this quickly. It's a matter of seconds anyways.

greetings,

Ali Akcaagac