Re: Feedback: Six Nautilus annoyances

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 22:25, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> >>  Please allow to arrange items case-insensitive. I see no reason why
> >>Kool.txt should be before alpha.doc. Yes, unix systems are case sensitive,
> >>but this only means that kool.txt is different from Kool.txt not that
> >>Kool.txt should show before all "k" file names or even worse, before all
> >>a* and b* words etc. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why the privilige?
> >>:P
>
> >This means your locale setup is broken.
>
> Ok, I just checked it out.
>
> eugenia athlonxp:~> cat /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> # Set the system locale (default C is the same as en_US):
> export LANG=C
> # This setting has been reported to fix some cut and paste
> # problems with GTK2.  If you experience this, try it:
> #export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
>
> So, the language is set to C, and Nautilus doesn't pick it up. I did change
> temporarily my setup to en_US.ISO8859-1 and it _does_ fix the nautilus file
> name ordering.  So, is this bug on slackware or on nautilus or Gtk2? Who is
> responsible on fixing this? Apparently other distros have the same problem
> as well, not just slackware...

Whoever wrote that is terribly wrong. "C" is nowhere near the same as
"en_US". "C" is 7bit ascii only, all ordering per the numeric value, and
numerical separators etc as defined by ANSI C.

If you want to use something that doesn't do exactly the same as K&R C
did 1978 you better use en_US (or whatever you fancy).

I can see Slackware going with C, since its a very traditional "old
unix" style distro, and its users might not like it when ls starts
sorting like normal humans (without them telling it to). However, if
other, more desktop centric distros fail to get something as elementary
as locales right I'd avoid them in the future.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a jaded crooked rock star in a wheelchair. She's a mentally unstable
hip-hop opera singer with only herself to blame. They fight crime!