Re: stretch icon

David Christian Berg wrote:
Alex mentioned somewhere in the thread,that you cannot only stretch the
icons on the desktop but any icon. This is possible via the Edit menu,
so no direkt interaction with the object. I don't object the idea of
stretching the icon "on canvas" but I think it should be in the
properties dialog along with the icon selection. This way the icon stuff
is at one spot, the stretching is at the same place for the desktop and
the windows _and_ there are less items in the right-click menu (also HIG
-- reducing the number of items in menus ;) )

Ok, I see where you're coming from. If it were my call (perhaps thankfully, it is not), I think I'd nuke the whole feature, but I can understand keeping it.

I hadn't realized that the stretching was available throughout Nautilus with the Edit menu - thanks for pointing that out.

So, now that I'm back from that large tangent I seem to have caused, yeah, the properties window already has two icons buttons "Select Custom Icon..." and "Remove Custom Icons" - so that seems like an ok spot to add a slider.

I think along with these two buttons, there could be an "Icon" section on the Basic tab. My preferred UI (without putting too much though into it) would be a slider that has a live effect on the icon. It still seems like a bit of a regression from the resizing nodes you get right on the 'canvas' right now... I suppose there could be a "resize icon" button in the properties window that activated the on-canvas resizing nodes, but there could be visibility issues with that (the icon might be /behind/ the properties window, etc.).

Cheers,
Steven Garrity