Re: "Open With" -> "An Application"

Hello Alexander,

list, you have to go searching on your own in /usr/bin. Showing the
application list from the Run dialog is the least I'd expect.

Well. The application list in the run dialog is constructed from all
desktop files, and in the new system those desktop files are supposed to
list the mimetypes they handle, so if the app is in the run dialog it
should already be in the open with menu. (Unless it didn't list some
mimetype it really supported, which should be fixed.)

On my system, gpdf has associated itself twice with PDF files (as 'PDF viewer' and as 'PDF file viewer'), but abiword hasn't associated itself with msword files. This might be a bug in those apps, but I am certain that we would be *helping the user* if Nautilus would offer a choice from the Run-dialog list, and only if that doesn't help the user could browse the file system.

Just the time it takes for gtkfilesel to build the contents list of /usr/bin would be enough reason to go that route (18 seconds on my Athlon 600/256MB system).

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778