Re: "Open With" -> "An Application"

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 10:24, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Well. The application list in the run dialog is constructed from all
> desktop files, and in the new system those desktop files are supposed to
> list the mimetypes they handle, so if the app is in the run dialog it
> should already be in the open with menu. (Unless it didn't list some
> mimetype it really supported, which should be fixed.)

but there may well be the odd situation where I really want to open a
binary file with my text editor -- just because I happen to know that it
contains some clear text string I want to search for or whatever.
Clearly a binary mimetype is still nothing an app like gedit should
advertise, but I'd still like to override the system there and then.

Even a missing mimetype is still no excuse - the user wants an easy
solution there and then not waiting for a bug report to be processed and
half a year later in a new release of his distribution to be finally
fixed for her.

	jtl