can't eject floppies/cd-roms

I have a problem that doesn't make any sense.  I am trying to make a stripped down RH 9 configuration for deployment in our public computer labs, however ejecting media does not work.  You can mount floppies without a problem using the "Disks->Floppy" option on the desktop menu, but ejecting doesn't work.  What is strange is that to mount the floppy "/bin/mount /mnt/floppy" runs when you click Disks->Floppy, however, when you right click on the disk and select eject, nothing happens.  On an out-of-the-box RH config the "eject floppy" command runs, and everything works great.  So why one shell command can run on my config, but the other cannot is the confusing part.  On my config, you can run the eject command from the commandline and the floppy disappears from the desktop.

If anyone knows what I could be missing that would prevent eject from working, but allow mount to work, let me know.  Also if anyone knows how I could enable logging of the shell commands nautilus executes, so I can see what's going wrong, that would be great too.  Thanks a lot,

Stephen

Computer & Information Technology Group            help ecs syr edu
College of Engineering & Computer Science          Link 204, 443-4308
Syracuse University