Re: directory jumping behavior in nautilus 2.4.. bug?

> The behaviour for this is a long standing "conflict". I'm in your camp,
> others thinks symlinks should be more like shortcuts. Nautilus
> originally had the behavior you describe, but this was changed due to
> massive complaints. When the discussion came up "recently" we weren't
> able to decide so we left it as-is for the moment.

I think we really need to differentiate between a shortcut, which is a
navigation mechanism, and a symlink, which is clearly a filesystem
mechanism. The key part of it is that it is a 'link' and is meant to be
treated just like a hard link, unless one is going to argue that hard
links should be treated like shortcuts as well.

If we want shortcuts, then by all means lets make shortcuts.

But regardless, even from just a UI point of view, there is no visual
indication in the tree view that clicking on this folder is going to be
any diff from clicking on any other folder (and most folders are just
'normal' folders), so it is very confusing when you get flung somewhere
else.