Re: Volume handling proposal

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 23:43, Chris Altmann wrote:
> > Three new concepts are introduced:
> >
> > First concept is a virtual location called "Computer", which is a
> > "root" of all the volumes in the system, much like "My Computer" in
> > WinXP and "Computer" in MacOSX.
> >
> Actually Desktop is the root on Windows. My Computer is under that and
> contains the lettered drives and Control Panel. The Network (Network
> Neighborhood or My Network Places) is directly under Desktop as well, as
> is My Documents. Things like Printers and Fonts are under the Control
> Panel. Network shared printers appear both in the Printers folder and
> under the computer that is sharing the printer in the Network folder. I
> think with XP shortcuts to these printers and share also appear directly
> in My Network Places if the "crawl network for open shares" option is
> enabled (as it is by default IIRC).

I dunno about this. WinXP by default has just a trash icon. However you
can configure it to have "My Computer", "My Network Places" and "My
Documents".

> Is the intent to make this computer centric (the computer contains a thing
> called a desktop which is displayed on the screen and things can be both
> in the computer and on the desktop) or desktop centric (desktop IS the
> computer and all local and remote resources are somehere on the desktop or
> in a folder on the desktop)?

Its very hard to do the "Desktop is the root" on Unix, so we're more
aiming for "Computer" is the root. The desktop is also availible inside
the computer, but we try to avoid pointing that out a lot.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a hate-fuelled voodoo werewolf on the edge. She's a warm-hearted goth
hooker in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight crime!