Re: directory jumping behavior in nautilus 2.4.. bug?

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 10:47, Ken Deeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed 2.4, and discovered some bizarre (i think) behaviour.
>
> If I have a symlink in my home directory that points to some other
> directory, and if I click on the folder icon for the symlink in
> the tree view, the tree view jumps to the actual target of
> the symlink.
>
> It seems like this is totally counter-intuitive and destroys the whole
> purpose of the symlink.. (to reorganize you tree structure into some
> flexible and convenient way) Is this a bug or a feature? thinking about
> reporting it to bugzilla anyways..

The behaviour for this is a long standing "conflict". I'm in your camp,
others thinks symlinks should be more like shortcuts. Nautilus
originally had the behavior you describe, but this was changed due to
massive complaints. When the discussion came up "recently" we weren't
able to decide so we left it as-is for the moment.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered gay romance novelist in a wheelchair. She's a
beautiful mute bodyguard operating on the wrong side of the law. They fight
crime!