Re: displaying uris in titlebar

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 14:23, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il ven, 2003-01-31 alle 16:58, Dave Bordoley ha scritto:
> > Right now for special uris like fonts:// and burn:// are used for the
> > window titlebar for these folders. I see several potential problems with
> > these:
> >
> > 1. At the most basic level they are untranslatable (to the best of my
> > knowledge), hence these names become about as useless as "/" to
> > non-english speakers.
> >
> > 2. They force the implementation detail of uris upon users. Ideally we
> > would provide some sort of click and open solution to accessing these
> > folders (maybe via start-here or the desktop it self).
> >

> Other related troubles
>
> 3. You have to know that the uri exist
>
> 4. You have to know that the uri is "installed"
>
> Personally I like a start-here page more like an "all available
> resources" view, where you can find and manage all non-file stuff
> available for/from nautilus ('Available Fonts' , 'Installed Packages' ,
> 'Network Servers' , 'Desktop Preferences' , 'Applications'...).

Well here's my general idea when it comes to accessing theses uris
through the ui. I've posted this in a few bugs, but can't hurt to post
it here as well.

1. Access to the fonts:// folder should be provided via the control
center font capplet. (open fonts folder...)

2. Network should be on the desktop by default. I recommend
calling it "Network Places" seems more friendly than "Network Servers"

3. A link to the "burn" directory could be added to the desktop
whenever an empty cd-r is placed in the cd drive (I think this is how
the mac works).

4. smb:// is accessible from the network:// uri, although its kind of
crappy since smb:// is not a sub dir of network:// (which can be
confusing).

5. Applications:// should be on the desktop by default too...

dave