Re: Template system

El mié, 17-12-2003 a las 05:13, Alexander Larsson escribió:
> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 03:21, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> > What do you think?
>
> I think its overcomplicated, adding many failure modes, many extra
> concepts and depends on a whole chain of dependencies

It does NOT depend on anything the GNOME platform doesn't have.  So it
doesn't introduce any dependencies to the GNOME platform.

>  that can break or
> work in ways that are not expected. It also further clutters the already
> large context menu, and relies on something non-pervasive like emblems
> to store fundamental data about the user state. Additionally, making
> each user run a fedora indexer

Medusa indexer.  The whole idea of Medusa is that it will run.  Why
would it be written to NOT run?

>  that used fam to monitor all files on the
> filesystem doesn't work due to scaling issues in fam/dnotify (i.e. it'll
> be ass-slow).

Perhaps that's true.  Perhaps there can be an alternate method to notify
medusa of file state changes on a file-per-file basis.

> Furthermore, even if your proposal could be implemented to work
> perfectly I don't think most people would get it really. My guess is
> that many people would select "use as a template", and then delete the
> file, thinking they don't need it on the desktop (or wherever they
> randomly saved it due to the fileselector default location) anymore.

Then we need a template folder that is user-visible, implemented nearly
exactly like the Trash folder.  Difficult to delete, user-accessible,
easy to spot, and with a note on the side saying "This is your template
folder.  Drag a file here to use it as a template on the right-click
menu" or something to that effect.

I think the Notes pane is underused in Nautilus.  It could be a great
way of introducing added value in Nautilus and the GNOME system in
general.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: keyserver.net C1033CAD