Re: File Notes

El mié, 17-12-2003 a las 04:59, Alexander Larsson escribió:
> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 02:43, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> > In which way aren't EAs good enough for Nautilus-maintained metadata?
>
> I don't remember the details. The kernel people claims its not designed
> for this type of metadata, and that a user-space solution would be
> better.

It is really hard to understand why they would make EAs as out-of-band
metadata, then claim it's not for these uses.  Whatever they say,
though, they have provided an infrastructure (good or bad) and it's up
to us to take advantage of it, and begin standardizing the namespace.
If, and only if, we can prove EAs are useful in our context, they'll
consider improving the situation to make our work easier.

Using EAs is at least better than not using them at all.  Most
console-level utilities already support them or are on their way (pax,
tar, etcetera).

I can't help to wonder what were they thinking?  If EAs aren't for this,
what the hell are they for?  The file system has been claiming our
metadata need for AGES, and the kernel people still don't do anything
for that.  Evidently, a user-space solution would be easier to code,
perhaps, but a kernel-level solution has the guarantee to be more
pervasive and easy to use for developers.

The simplest case can prove it: which is more probable?  That GNU cp
supported e.g. Random Metadata Daemon for metadata, or that GNU cp
interface implemented the kernel interface?  I think it's self evident
that the GNU file utils maintainers would rather work with a kernel
interface.

Would somebody please forward this to the linux kernel mailing list?

(let's also remember EAs are available not only on Linux, and AFAIK,
they're a posix or SuS standard, can't remember which)

> (Don't shoot the messanger, please!)

Don't worry, Alex =)

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)