Re: Template system

Well, I have the same concern Julien has.

The ideal situation would be the following.

(warning: hypothetical case following)

I'm at my computer.  I right click the desktop and select Create new,
then Text document.  A text document icon appears, ready for me to type
the name, and once the right name has been written, the right app opens
with it.  I write some crap.  I write some more crap.  I wipe the crap
with the spell corrector.  I click close, and answer Save to the Save?
dialog box.

Now, I go and locate another document.  I want to create a form letter
to fill only what's needed to be filled for now on.  I open an existing
letter, and write some more crap, headers, then save the file.  Once I'm
done, I right-click the file and select "Use as template".  A special
nautilus emblem appears.  From that point on, I can now use it from the
"New" menu without special interaction from my part.

Now, as you can see, this gets rid altogether of the Templates folder,
and lets the user manage his/her own templates, in a nonobtrusive way
(he can make his own template folder).  But this would require Nautilus
to index templates (or files with a Template emblem).  Hey, I was
forgetting, we already have that with Medusa!  So this could be done!
Medusa would need to talk to the FAM daemon so it can be updated to the
second though.  But medusa is lacking this and since the fam<->medusa
deal serves so many other purposes, it would be good if medusa got the
ability to index in realtime as well.

(cunning laughter)

Yes, we can do without the Templates folder.  The user can decide
whether he puts his templates on a template folder or not.  The system
won't enforce any magic locations at all.  A special app or Nautilus
place (in the Go menu) could show a template list.  Perhaps the Medusa
find tool can find:

[x] Files which are templates

if you get what I mean.

What do you think?