Re: Template system

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 15:21, Luca Cappelletti Infodomestic.com wrote:
> Hello,
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 00:35, Peter Harvey wrote:
>
> >  .hidden it doesn't really matter anymore.
> >
> > Love the Template directory idea, but unless .hidden works in bash, can
> > we please make the Template directory specified by a gconf key or
> > something? My understanding of .hidden was that it was to be used as a
> > hack around poorly programmed apps, which Nautilus is not.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Template is a nice idea.
> But it is not THE solution...
>
> .hidden is surely a trasaction hack between the navigational world to
> the spatial one.
> You have to think that Filesystem is just a database storage system.
> GNOME is its Engine (...and an application server too...).
> So that you cannot think that looking .hidden file into bash is a
> problem due to the fact that bash will be used by power user and not by
> everyday/home/office users.
> Nautilus has to hide the complexity of the filesystem/objects/database.
> Nautilus is a filter filesystem engine (and more).

I don't want the template directory hidden.  On OS/2 I interacted with
it often to add or update templates.  Since cp works in bash, I would
want to use the templates from command line when using vi, or just
starting a GUI app.  From the desktop  I'm just as likely open the
template folder to locate a template to make a new document--I'll be
prompted to 'Save as ...' if the template is read-only.

It Nautilus was very smart, it would recognize a template emblem on a
file and know to copy the file to the desktop, then start the correct
app to edit the copy.  If we had a Metadata db, like Medusa, Nautilus
would know every template in the user's desktop without having to manage
a template folder.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.