Re: The future direction of the Nautilus UI

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> said:

> 	Oh - and lastly, 'intuitive' as tens of new windows may be; the truly
> newbie computer users I know, have real problems coping with the concept
> of more than 1 window; and typically 'loose' stuff under other windows,
> and get confused.
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 		Michael.

Hey michael,

The issue of deep hierarchies, is addressed in an oo design by using a tree
view of the currently viewed folder, ie. the current folder is the root node
of the tree(something that would be cool anyway, see kde's list view).

The problem you describe is really a problem with icon views, which show a
flat view of a folder, only showing the first level of the objects in the
folder. A tree view provides a nice solution by presenting a way to view the
contents of sub folders while maintaining the oo design principles.

Anyway I agree with your general sentiment, lets not just start throwing away
code, instead lets make a list of features that will be needed to create a
migration path, and slowly add those, while over time we phase out old unused
features.

I would be willing to prepare a document highlighting some easy things we can
do it 2.2, and maybe some more longterm ideas as well.

dave