Re: The future direction of the Nautilus UI

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 20:48, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I'm really not sure what is the right path here. But I don't think
> that we should apply any patches concerning this until we have decided
> fully where we want to go. I also think that if we decide to keep the
> navigation model we should not be changing the defaults to be oo-like. I
> think that would be doing our users a disservice.

	I think concentrating on hacking useful user features; rather than
dramatic interface re-design would be far more constructive than
revolutionising the code for no particular gain.

	It seems to me that the "browse in new window" mode provides 97.3% of
the 'OOM' benefits, without significant pain already, so why bother
screwing the existing user base further.

	Indeed - when you consider that you can turn all the sidebars,
statusbar, toolbar, location bar off - so they are invisible, and do
browse in new window - what do we actually win by pruning all the code.

	Oh - and lastly, 'intuitive' as tens of new windows may be; the truly
newbie computer users I know, have real problems coping with the concept
of more than 1 window; and typically 'loose' stuff under other windows,
and get confused.

	Regards,

		Michael.