Re: pluggable context menus ...

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 06:27, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
> Shahms E. King wrote:
>  >>4. ISOs: Should have burn to cd as their default menu entry (in place of
>  >>open, should never have open with available. The rest of the entries
>  >>seem ok though.
>  >
>  >
>  > Admittedly, the feature doesn't currently exist, but there's no
>  > fundamental reason to disallow Opening iso's, they do, after all,
>  > contain a perfectly valid filesystem and I can think of a number of
>  > situations where I would rather traverse the ISO than burn it (say,
>  > installing RPMS from my RedHat ISO or somesuch).
>
> I second this, you could just need stuff that's inside the ISO (isn't
> this true for RPMS too, f.i. looking to the installation scripts or the
> spec file?).
>
> My_iso	| Mount on /mnt/iso (or simply Mount, the user chooses where)
> 	| Burn to CD
>
> Ciao

Your missing the point, the specifics in that example don't matter. I
was just trying to explain the general idea of object based context
menus.

For the sake of mentioning it, if we could transparently support
mounting of on an iso (ie the user clicks on the iso and a folder
appears with everything in it) than yes open for an iso would make
sense, not sure if this is technically possible though (users shouldn't
need to be aware of /mnt/iso that is a technical issue). As for
browsing rpms, the purpose of rpms is to install and remove software
(what is technically possible is a different issue) most users are not
going to want to view/edit the contents of an rpm. However browsing
srpms may be a worthwhile feature. But this is all pie in the sky.

dave